Wednesday 22 August 2012

Shooting the Breeze...

Nice way to spend the day.

Walking around the little village of Miedlingsdorf somehow reminded me about Italy. The Italy that I have seen in movies, colourful and romantic. As we have been doing most mornings, we drove to a village in a 20km radius from us, to hand out Bob's business flyers. It does seem silly in this day of Internet, but it has proven more successful than online. In a small village, the daily check on one's postbox is always an exciting excursion and holds the treasure trove of information, that is needed to be connected and informed of everyone's goings on. I love it too !

Bob and I usually divide the village up and we each do one side. Yesterday was the hottest day imaginable but we did the rounds. As I was dropping a flyer in a postbox, I heard a shout from across the street, " Hallo, can we also have one and see what you are doing ? " Slightly startled I turned to look. There in front of a typical Burgenland style house, sat two old men on a bench, watching my progress. Walking across to them, I told them what I was doing and handed them a flyer. Pleased they took it to read. " I will most likely see you when I walk back along your side of the street. Bye, until later. "

It was such a nice thing to see. There were these two old guys, most likely friends since childhood, sitting and chatting about all and sundry. Walking away from them I could still hear them nattering. Most likely about the flyer and everything on it.

When I came past them on the way back they asked me, " Isn't it too hot to hand your flyers out ? "
" Oh yes, it is hot as blazes, but it has to be done. Business comes first." To which they sagely nodded their heads and one said " That is for sure. Have a nice day."

It struck me then, that these two guys had somehow stumbled on the essence of life, one that we are all chasing furiously. They were sitting there and just enjoying each moment. They were living in the " elusive " moment and loving every bit of it...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment