Tuesday 5 November 2013

Bob's Our Chief Chicken Soup Maker!

A real chicken soup, with no cans or packets in sight.

Unless you are glued to the various Food Channels on your TV, it might come as a surprise that one still makes chicken soup from a chicken! Of course it is so much simpler to just snip the top of a packet or use a can opener, but once you give the wake up call to your taste buds with real chicken soup, any other type just won't pass muster.

Even the consistency is vastly superior. A sort of velvety smooth look, taste and feel. Chickens on the whole are a tad bit expensive. We only pounce when the local shop has a delivery of chickens that were running around outside and ate healthy meals. As the prices are rather high, we tend to buy the smallest ones on offer.

On the way home yesterday, I couldn't resist buying a chicken. Honestly, the next part in the production of this chicken soup is not my metier. One needs to skin this raw chicken and cut it into various portions. The minute I walked through the door there was only one option for me:
" Bob, I have a surprise for you in the kitchen." Oh yes, Bob fell for it, helped along by his current love of making various soups.

In fact, he has been commandeering the kitchen of late and let me tell you that there was no protest from me! In fact I tried to be as quiet as a mouse lest he awoke from his soup making trance with outrageous thoughts of maybe passing the baton back to me.

My only defence is that Bob does make much better soups than I and who wouldn't enjoy this feeling...you know, sitting watching a soap on Telly while someone cooks for you!
Hearing ( instead of making ) the symphony of chopping, scraping and stirring with the occasional swear word is rather refreshing.

Biggi

Bob in his favourite place ( at the moment ). My Schatzi does look like a chef...
Man at work.
The delicate touch of spices.
Carrots are store bought but the celeriac is from our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment