Friday 1 November 2013

Bob & I Discovered The Oberwart Library.

Libraries and their numerous awaiting adventures.

Honestly, the last time I was a full fledged member of a library was in my school & university days. The library during my school career was conveniently right next to the central bus stop and fun to go to.

One thing it was not, was a place to meet boys. In those days, the ' in ' boys never graced the doorway of the library. That was reserved for us nerdy lot! Even now, Bob can't stop teasing me because I happened to have been in the chess club at school...

The Pietermaritzburg Library had several stories ( building and books ) with one level reserved for all the latest international magazines. Actually now that I am thinking along these lines, I remember a few years later at university and again sitting in the library.

Of course that library was even bigger. Even then I had a passion for reading business magazines. Forbes (1-year) . It was the mid eighties and I happened to read an article about an up & coming company. They were recommending a buy of its shares even though it was a rather unknown company. Oh yes, it was a young Microsoft!

Books and its content are the best elixir for anything. Even choosing the books is as much fun as getting to that place early on in a novel, where you get swept away in the adventure, plot and story. It goes without saying, that while we read, we tend to think, speak and act like the latest Hero / Heroine that we are reading about. Well, at least I do!

Yesterday, Bob & I joined the Oberwart Library. It cost us 75 cents and now we can take out books for 4 weeks at a time. Oberwart being a smaller town, its library is proportional, but they still have great reads. Amazingly they have a huge and fantastic selection of children's books and I hope that parents take them up on their offer...

Biggi

Bob with a stack of books under his arm.
The doorway to untold adventures...Oberwart Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment