Thursday 7 November 2013

Yes, My Cloak Of Women's Lib Tends To Slip Off At The First Sight Of Danger!

A healthy dose of reverse chauvinism perhaps?

Oh yes, I admit it. This woman's coat of equality gets donned and doffed with alarming frequency. At dinner table conversations, I will defend the equality of gender tooth and nail. Why should we earn less and do more for the same job men do? Why should we work a full day and then come home to do another full workload of household chores?

Hopefully ours will be the last generation, where women are expected to carry the major workload regarding home and children. With all the stresses involved having a full time career plus being a full time homemaker, I wouldn't be surprised if secretly some women yearn to just be homemakers.

At even the merest hint of male chauvinism from Bob, my heckles rise and protests are plenty. Yet, is it fair to expect Bob to do the following or should he raise a flag of protest and
( oh please, don't ) refuse to do it?

  • At the sight of a spider ( minuscule, small, medium or large ) I holler for my strong husband to sort it out, even interrupting his treasured time in the Bathroom.
  • The merest hint or whiff of a blocked toilet is a chore naturally assigned straight away to Bob.
  • When it is cold outside, he has to carry the bag of pellets ( 15 kg ) inside. As I write this, it dawns on me that I have never even offered to help!
  • Early this morning, our furry tenants in the roof, kept me awake with their antics. Either an hour of running back and forth to irritate me or an elaborate passionate encounter. Whichever it was, you could hear it through the roof. But here comes the best part. While I was half dozing trying to block out the noise, my thoughts turned to how Bob would have to go into the roof to chase them out.

Is it fair to expect my man to do all those heavy, scary and dangerous chores? Shouldn't I kill the spiders, carry the heavy stuff and climb in the attics to face household dangers?

For me at least, it appears that the women's lib contract has a few lines of very fine print at the bottom of the last page! Sorry Bob, they are a bit smudged, but I will claim them as the situation arises...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment