Saturday 23 January 2016

Routine, A Lifesaver When We're Lonely.

How long a weekend can seem when you are alone.

Before my brush with fortune in the shape of Bob occurred, I had a stint of about six months where I was alone after a break-up. My family was across on the other side of the world and it was before the time of Skype and mobile phones. Getting hold of family by phone was a matter of timing it to coincide with their being at home.

Work was a great but then the weekend loomed. Weekends that are counted down with fervor by most, are dreaded by the lonely. The two sides to a Saturday... longed for & dreaded at the same time. Spending two days at home, knowing that no one will go with you for a cup of coffee or a meal out, is only nice the first few times.

I found that a set routine did the trick of covering the odd feeling of loneliness. Whiling the day away, makes it take an age. Ambling in the local shopping center was either done on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning and the car was taken for a Shampoo, Rinse & Polish every Saturday. My walks were timed to the late afternoons of Saturday and Sunday, because once I got home from them, it was evening.

Looking at someone's routine from the outside might seem strange and even bordering on the eccentric, but never forget that not everyone has the good luck to be with someone and some have the misfortune of being with someone and still be lonely.

I was reminded of my brush with loneliness yesterday while I visited a local pensioner. His life is run according to a routine and even he said that it helps him navigate the long stretches of loneliness.

Often, we forget that there are plenty of people ( even friends and family ) who are alone and lonely. If you thought of someone while you reading this, maybe invite them over for a cup of coffee and a chat.

" There but for the Grace of God go I."

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment