Sunday 3 January 2016

Being Grateful, Gratitude & Living A Good Life.

There by the Grace of God go I...

Somehow, most of us have had it hammered into our brain, that unless our life is super duper, absolutely luxuriously lived, it isn't enough. I must praise all those advertisers throughout the decades, as they are the ones who've helped implant this constant need to get better, have better and keep on thriving until at some point in our lives we are allowed to feel, happy and satisfied.

Ironically, that point is reached when we've got that proverbial one foot in the grave and again, the much used idiom becomes true...

You can't take it with you...

The other day I went for a walk and it was bitterly cold. So cold that when I took a breath, my lungs burnt. So cold, that the air was crisp and everything looked more beautiful. So cold, that having thermal underwear, gloves and beanie was a must, coupled with a heavy jacket and thick socks.

Half way into my walk, I saw another facet of nature I wanted to take a photo of and did so, but without my gloves. Just for a minute or two and that was enough to freeze my fingers to the bone. That particular frozen feeling where your fingers throb with pain even after you've put the warm gloves back on.

My fingers hurt but fortunately I was a mere minutes away from home, a warm home so I knew my pain had an end to it. But that got me thinking about the millions of homeless who are left out in the elements of Winter. Imagine, having no place to get warm. Imagine, being left out in that bone chilling icy cold wind with only a layer of clothing, not just for an hour or two but for the whole of Winter.

There are only a few things that are essential for a great life. Health, the love of family, having a warm roof over one's head, having enough to eat each day and having a change of clothes...

How many people around the world were disappointed at Christmas because they perhaps didn't get the right toy, phone, car, leather jacket, computer console or...

...Sadly, they don't realize how lucky they are to have the basics covered in their lives...

If only we all understood how little we actually need to live a good life, we'd all be less stressed and more happy with what we have got already.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment