Sunday 29 January 2017

An Austen Sunday.

Genius lasts forever...Jane Austen quotes from her books and personal letters.

" Wisdom is better than wit and in the long run will certainly have the laugh on her side. "
" Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us. "
" Life seems just a quick succession of busy nothings. "
" A woman, especially if she has the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as can be. "
" Men were put into the world to teach women the law of compromise. "
" Her own thoughts and reflections were habitually her best companions. "
" She felt that she could so much more depend upon the sincerity of those who sometimes looked or said a careless or hasty thing, than those whose presence of mind never varied, whose tongue never slipped. "
" Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope for a cure. "
" I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than a book. - When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library. "
" I am sorry to tell you that I am getting very extravagant, and spending all my money, and, what is worse for you, I have been spending yours too. "

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment