Sunday 18 March 2018

Backstage At The Local Theater,

Another play done and dusted.

As you know Bob and I have been helping out behind the scenes with Bob being part of the glass washing squad and myself in the assembly line of sandwich makers. Put a few women as co-chairs and each will have her own criteria of how a perfect sandwich should look. Suffice to say that at one of the performance evenings the odd choice word was mumbled. Ah, no matter how old or young we are, put us in a group and the dynamics change. A touch of spice indeed.

During each act, we downed tools and hung on the various counters in order to watch the play. After the second evening the lines were familiar or rather the lines not spoken were truly fun. A case of the giggles had set in and bravo to the assemble for carrying on despite almost themselves doubling over with laughter.

Quite often during the play a few of the main characters would swig a glass of Schnapps with I only found out after the first night's performance, was the real deal. If I had to stand in front of such a huge audience I might have more than a few tots to calm my nerves.

We didn't do too badly at our stations either. Of course we could eat and drink what we wanted but I took caution knowing that I would do the rounds collecting empty glasses. Slinking through the masses trying to clear dirty glasses off the tables isn't easy at the best of times. People turn around unexpectedly, people walk without looking and sometimes people talk with their hands.

Luckily for me there were a few trays which have a sticky surface thus stopping any glasses from moving about. Brilliant. With each successive performance I got braver and loaded my tray more and thankfully so...one other volunteer came back with only one empty glass and beer bottle on his tray..,

" Geez, make sure you don't overdo it. "
Yes, even the business of volunteering is not for the faint of heart but I have to say, that it was fun to help out and in a way I was glad they had included me.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment