Thursday 20 October 2016

" Biggi, How Is Your Garden Doing? "

Diction changes fiction...

Walking to work late yesterday afternoon, I ran into some neighbours of mine. A fleeting greeting of mine got reciprocated with the above. A myriad of things flashed through my mind at lightning speed, as they are wont to do.

Foremost in my mind was the very recent poo-deposit by another neighbourhood dog on our front lawn, mere minutes earlier. Oh yes, I had stumbled upon them ( owner and dog ) and had put a happy mien on a smelly deed. ( Later on, when I regaled the Bobster with it, he was not very happy and muttered about the ugly effect of a lawnmower meeting a poo parcel. )

But, my neighbour couldn't have seen that, so perhaps it was a bit of a dig at our very laissez faire garden. A few thoughts flitted together and knitted themselves into the one certainty; the hedge still had foliage, enough to deflect any critical glances. While my mind went at top speed around the various scenarios, I surely looked like a deer caught in headlights.

" Eh, thank you for asking, it is fine. "
and all of a sudden, comprehension hit me with an accompanied need to double up with laughter...

Diction changes fiction...in German, you get two words, similar but with a totally different meaning. Saying them in a regional accent makes them almost indistinguishable...

Garten / Gatten
bubbling with laughter I answered, that the Bobster was very fine indeed. Yes, Gatte in German means husband.

As funny as this was, it makes me realize how fabulous my Bobster is with his handling of being immersed in German language. Eh, one that is heavily afflicted with the regional dialect. Often, even some Viennese are at a loss when confronted with our local dialect...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment