Wednesday 21 November 2012

A Part-Time Insomniac.

Even here in Burgenland, one can have sleep problems.

Those of you, who are able to sleep through nights, should do a dance of joy or show your gratitude in some form. Bob is one of those lucky ones. Of course now and again he mistakenly accuses me of snoring ( really, me ? How positively unladylike... ) and hindering his sleep.

Of course, as luck would have it, those are the times that I would have slept through...were it not for a certain someone waking me with : " Hey, stop snoring ". It is ironic, how we often say that the men in our lives keep us awake through their snoring, yet ( I think ) we women do our fair share of it too.

In fact I have heard the urban myths of husbands taping a particular nasty snoring sessions of their wives, in order to have concrete proof ! Goodness gracious, what is the world coming to ? Of course if you throw a few glasses of wine into the mix, the cacophony of snores is unbearable, from both sides of the bed !

Through trial and error, I have learned how to cope with occasional insomnia.
Keeping the mind " diverted " is essential. Who has had this happen before ?
You have a small problem on your mind and it keeps you awake. If you continue to lie in bed with no distraction, suddenly that tiny problem has morphed into a monstrous one. Intrigues and negative scenarios just bounce around in your thoughts !

The magic potion for me, is to convert the couch into a comfortable bed and to bunker down to watch TV. I get so caught up in the various plots, that it diverts my mind of a current problem. Even though I say that I don't sleep at night, I think that I must average at least 4-5 hours ( on those sleep disorder times in my life ) in front of the TV.

I know, because there are plenty of times, when I get engrossed in a Murder-Mystery and just before I could guess at the culprit, I doze off. But the funny thing is, that I wake again during a different Murder-Mystery and wonder why the culprit looks so different. It is amazing how many good programs are scheduled late at night. Sometimes better than during the day.

If you have bouts of insomnia, what is your remedy ?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment