Wednesday 7 November 2012

Seeing Ourselves Through Rose Tinted Glasses.

Beauty really is in the eyes' of the beholder !

Most of you ( very presumptive of me ) who are over 35, will understand. To the lucky lot under 35, wait, your turn is coming. Maybe take some notes...
Time, after a while, really becomes relatively unimportant. Look you know it is there and in a way passes by you, but so what ? At least that is how I view it, with a few panic-about-it episodes in between.

Social Media is an ingenious invention with so many positives. Yet it has one ( for me that is ) tiny point that can be a tad depressing ...people using it, post pictures of themselves. Look it is nice catching up and being in a way a part of their life. Social Media has become the invisible string that connects us all.

Yesterday, I was looking at a Facebook entry from one of my Husbands friends. It was innocuous enough. Just a few pictures of a school reunion. You know the type of picture, that clearly shows them all having a good time reminiscing ( usually an alcoholic beverage in hand, possibly to explain the silliness of grown men ).

But here is my problem with it. Looking at those photos, I asked Bob
" Jeezalou, doesn't ' So-and-So ' look rather old ? " after a slight pause,
" Do you think so ? I think he looks fine. "
" How much older than us is he then ?"...well ask a stupid question..." Older ? No, in fact he is about four years younger then us ! "

Yes, now I am part of that group. The group that somehow forgets that time has slipped passed them too. On the whole it is a good place to be. When I look in the mirror, normally I still see the same me. Oh sure, a few more wrinkles and the odd and stubborn grey hair, but nothing to make me think I am old. But I think I have now realized that if people younger than me " look " older, then most certainly I have aged too.

Of course, I will try and only post pictures of myself on Social Media, that are possibly taken with a long lens and with candle light ! My top priority is to ensure that none of my friends have to find out that they have aged, by seeing a realistic photo of me...!
Or has that horse already left the barn ?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment