Sunday 11 November 2012

A Saturday Visit To The Parents With A Difference...

Not The Usual Coffee & Cake Visit !

On Friday my Mum asked us, if we could help them work on their ceiling on Saturday. Of course we agreed straight away ( not asking any specifics ). Throughout our phase of fixing our house, my parents were helping us, above and beyond their duty ! I really mean that. In fact, I have yet to meet anyone with more drive and stamina.

The old Burgenland farmhouses, have mostly clay and soil ( at least that's what it looked like to me ) packed tightly on top of the wooden ceiling beams. It insulates nicely, but gets extremely dusty, if you use the attic for laundry etc. So my Mum organized to have the layer of soil taken out.

Yesterday morning we reported for duty, not really knowing what would come our way ! Those of you who have done it before, don't need an explanation, but for the rest...it is extremely dusty and dirty. Mouth guards are a must. In retrospect, goggles should have been standard issue also. But you live and learn...

Ingeniously, Albert had organized a simply pulley system on top of the attic staircase, so at least we did not have to lug the heavy buckets down precarious attic stairs. He is always a step ahead in most things, making them also easier to do.

My station was in the attic, helping my Mum attach the heavy buckets, but also to help with the filling of them. We did have a young volunteer, who had way more muscle power than I, but I was still found in the " dust " of it at times.

It took us almost 6 hours, and numerous ( surely in the hundreds but feels like thousands ) bucket loads to expose the wooden beams underneath the layer of soil. Only today, does my body actually tell me that I did do my fair share of work. But unbelievably my Mum did much more. While other Mums sit and actually have coffee and cake, mine is in the mix of things, working, doing and leading the way.

They say that we girls all turn out like our Mothers and I can't wait to be that industrious ( at the moment I am still far far off ). But I am sure it will happen and I kind of look forward to that. But Bob, I think, is a bit perturbed, as he would like me to sit and knit or crochet. Only for one reason though...he is worried that I will include him in all the actions and projects !

Biggi

My Mum putting the buckets on the pulley.

Looks docile enough, but it packs a punch !

They are as heavy as they look...

No comments:

Post a Comment