Monday 19 November 2012

Who Else Loves Ice-Cream ?

Good Ice-cream, could there be anything better...

For as long as I can remember, Ice-cream has been a winner in my food consumption. The favorite by a long shot was and always will be Vanilla. Of course my long-held affair with ice-cream has contributed to a few of the fillings in my teeth and the pounds on my hips. But oh, it is just so nice...

There have been phases, where I had found a substitute, that is a substitute for calories,
" pretend " ice-cream, that tasted divine, yet had only a minute amount of calories for the biggest of servings ( that was while I lived in New York City ). Along with almost all the extremely thin New York ladies, some positively skeletal, I would sit in that shop and devour massive servings. With smug looks on most faces for having circumvented a possible weight gain ! Well, that of course turned out to be too good to be true. Surprise, surprise, there were massive calories in that ice-cream all along...

Those of you, who have been following my blog, know how much I like and frequent a coffee shop in Eberau. All of our visitors get a grand tour of Eberau and the fabulous ice-cream cups at the coffee shop.

On Saturday we did a little family excursion and had lunch at one of the scenic villages here in our part of Burgenland. We skipped dessert, as we all voted on stopping by in Eberau, to eat delicious ice-cream. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans...yes, even they can go awry.

We got to our coffee shop and even managed to garner our usual table. With anticipation ( I had in my mind completed the arduous process of choosing a specific ice cream ) we saw the waiter approach. Imagine our disappointment, when he told us : " Sorry, we don't sell ice-cream during Winter. "...Why ?

Supermarkets still sell it during winter, so I am sure there is a huge demand. Northern Winters mean a constant warm climate inside, almost cloying at times. Ice cream would be ideal then.
Coffee shops all have freezers and ice-cream does not go off as quickly as cake. Surely it makes good business sense ? There is a huge marketing opportunity to sell ice-cream in winter...no, not only to an Eskimo !

Biggi

Bob...in Summertime !

No comments:

Post a Comment