Monday 12 November 2012

My Sunday Mornings In Burgenland.

There is hardly anything better than a leisurely Sunday morning.

What is it, that makes everything slow down on Sunday mornings ? Even if you get up at the same time, there is almost an hour delay to everything. At least for me ! Even back in South Africa, I treasured Sunday mornings and the long walks we took. Actually there, Bob used to walk with me all the time, yet here he claims he cannot keep up with me...Nice one, Bob and ' suspiciously ' very convenient !

Yet, I must confess, walking alone is rather nice as it gives me time to ruminate on my thoughts. Now Sunday mornings are even quieter than normal. Certainly less traffic, which equates to maybe one car instead of four driving past me ! This solitude is heavenly and you have got to experience it, to appreciate it. Small village living is fantastic.

The last few Sundays I have encountered a most interesting sight and incidentally, unusual mode of transport. To be honest, because of my ' speedy ' walk ( according to an excuse seeking husband ), I was almost faster than it. What was it, you might wonder ?

Well, it was a cart being pulled by two donkeys, with a third one tied behind. A man was driving the cart and his wife was walking abreast it. The first time I walked by it, I just did the polite thing and greeted. But not knowing if donkeys actually kick or bite, I took a wide enough berth to not find out.

Last Sunday, they slowed down a bit when they saw me and I could coincide my walk-by with a chat.
" Do you only do this drive on a Sunday ? "
" Ja, today we have time to give them a walk. The young one tied to the back, is being trained."
" Can I stroke them to say hello to them ? "
" Sure, but he is still very shy."

Animals are precious and the shy donkey was still acting like a confused teen. Should he let me say ' Hallo ' or should he ignore me ! Too cute for words...
What is so special to me, is the fact that almost daily I stumble across little treasures like this.

Now that I think about the donkey cart being mostly seen on a Sunday, it could almost be biblical. If, when the Christmas season approaches, I should happen across a cart full of presents and possibly " Prancer " with it, I will tell you instantly.

Biggi

I did not have a camera with me to a pictue of the donkey cart, but just to show you the area I walk in.

Picture taken at same time, just in the opposite direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment