Saturday 13 April 2013

How It Feels To Be Un-Followed On Twitter.

A newbie Twit's experience...

" Good grief, get a grip " I told myself, when I suddenly realized that I was short of a Twit..a Twitter follower, that is !

In the real world, being followed or even following someone is not good nor nice and can be even scary. Getting used to the mirror image of the Twitter world takes some adjustment.

The first few weeks after you sign up as a little blue fledgling of a birdie who learns to perch on the many different branches of the " Twitter landscape ", are exciting, fascinating, interesting, educational and of course a huge lot of fun.

Just like a child waking up on Christmas morning, there is this daily rush of excitement when you check if you have any more Twitter followers. Just to be honest, on most days I check numerous times as the day unfolds.

When there is a new follower ( is this how ladies felt centuries ago when their ' Dance cards ' were filled ? ) I let out a little ' woo-hoo '. My husband at times gives me one of those looks that could mean many things, but I rightly interpret it as; " is this really the woman I married ? ".

The other morning I noticed that someone had un-followed me. It must be some right of passage for us beginners, because I don't know if the ' wise old birds ' with a gazillion followers, would notice the disappearance of a few. But I certainly noticed !

Immediately I thought that I had done something wrong. Maybe I had written a bad comment or perhaps too many ? To be honest, it felt like a young romance suddenly ended. Who can forget those painful moments in primary / junior school, when your boyfriend sent his friend to tell you that he didn't like you anymore...

When I had more time to consider this un-following event, I realized that just like in the real world, the virtual world also has individuality. We don't like everyone we meet in life and the same goes for the virtual world. All is well.

Biggi

Amazon.com:How To Tweet, The Basics: Dos and Don'ts for Newbies (Using Twitter)
Amazon.de:Social Media Marketing - Strategien für Twitter, Facebook & Co

No comments:

Post a Comment