Saturday 6 April 2013

The Joy Of A Cup Of Tea.

It's even nicer if you brew it from scratch.

Usually I just throw the odd choice of tea bag into a mug before scalding it with boiling water. Black tea, not the various fruit combinations that seem to be more popular in Europe.

When we first moved here to Burgenland, I discovered a quirky little Tea shop in Oberwart, our nearest big town. It is the kind of shop that you can't help but be enticed with its selection. There must be at least 50 different types of tea. The loose sort that brings to my mind Agatha Christie novels. Drinking tea always seemed so special in those books !

I vaguely remember my early days in South Africa and joining a rambling club for a long walk
( if you read yesterday's blog, you may start to wonder at my various activities ). All I recall is trekking somewhere for hours on an extremely hot day and when it was time for a break, the most peculiar sight came before my still fresh European eyes...

A few of the ' main ' ramblers opened their rucksack and took out all the things to make tea. From a gas burner to teabags, milk and sugar. Really, hot tea after an exhausting and sweaty walk ? They say it cools you down ! Personally I was not so sure...

South Africa having been a former British Colony, drinking tea is part and parcel of everyday life. By the way, if you haven't tried it, you don't know what you are missing. That one particular treat is a companion in so many of life's instances. Even good old fashioned gossip wouldn't be the same without a cup of tea at hand !

Drinking tea has grown on me and there is nothing nicer than sitting down to have the first hot sip. Life's cares seem to somehow melt away. The enjoyment of tea moves up another notch when it is brewed the old fashioned way. What would life be without these little rituals ?

Biggi

Amazon.com:Davidson's Tea Bulk, English Breakfast, 16-Ounce Bag
Amazon.de:Twinings Earl Grey Tee lose Dose 500 g

No comments:

Post a Comment