Friday 12 April 2013

Memories Of Our Grandparents.

And their nuggets of wisdom.

At a very young age, being around our Grandparents is just the best. They usually give in to any and all requests, give us sweets until we are past the point of no return from " hyperdom " and seem to handle our mini-tantrums with great aplomb !

Parents themselves, love the freedom of dropping off their bundles of joy at their own parents.
So far so good. But, when we get a bit older, suddenly as children we tend to think it is rather
" uncool " to be with our Grandparents.

Usually comments such as;" Do I really have to stay here ? " fall on deaf parental ears..Parents could pose as pin-ups for the ' selective awareness' group . How else could you explain the unmovable expressions when confronted with silly demands, questions or ear piercing screaming tantrums, which apparently are only audible to innocent stander-by's ?

Now, being in my forties, wonderful memories of my Grandfather flash into my mind at odd moments. He, having been of the old school, eschewed anything ' too modern ' in the kitchen, and thus made filter coffee the manual way. Any time I stayed at my Grandparents house, he would apprentice me in this task.

At the time I could not understand why he didn't just use the percolator ( that a well meaning Uncle of mine had given as a present ) standing in the corner. Well, now I am eternally grateful for this time together with my ' Opa '.

A while ago our percolator was out of action and I fell back on the manual percolating method. Oh yes, coffee can be brewed like that !!!

The most wonderful thing happened. As I was following in my ' Opa's ' footsteps making a pot of coffee, great memories of him flooded my mind. In fact I could even picture the clothes he wore when he made coffee and also the little tips he passed on to me.

Memories are a fantastic way to keep us connected to our heritage. When memories are created, we often don't know they are and at times don't see the point of them. But when they pop into your mind at odd moments, it tends to give you a feeling of warmth and connection.

How do you remember your Grandparents ?.

Biggi

Amazon.de:Hario Kaffeefilter / Coffee Dripper V60 02 aus Keramik, weiß für 1 - 4 Tassen
Amazon.com:Plastic Filter Cone #2 Medium Coffee Maker Black or Red

No comments:

Post a Comment