Tuesday 16 June 2015

The Greatest Robbery Of Our Time?

Are we really that clever or should I say smart?

Back in the day, the day of cell phones, a lot of smart older people muttered out loud:

" Why would I need a cell phone? Either I use the phone or I go and visit whoever. "
and you know, why indeed...Little did we know that a mere cellphone would revert to just being used as a phone!

Smartphones are omnipresent at the moment. Wherever you look, it is either close to one cheek, the other or being held out front for either selfies or pictures.

Oh and I nearly forgot the silver lining ( cash cow ) for all chiropractors, orthopaedic surgeons and massage therapists...the constant looking down to see what is going on in your virtual world. Most of us have developed a kink in our necks.

How much time do we spend on these Smartphones? One, two or more hours a day soon adds up to a whole chunk of time that could have been used for other activities...

  • Spending ' real ' time with your family...phone switched off!
  • Reading a book.
  • Seeing the world around you.
  • Going for a walk.
  • Driving a car without distractions.
  • Meditation and celebrating the peaceful quietness.

Of course it's nice to follow your friends life online and I use the computer for it. Bad enough and often rather a robber of my time. But I am ever so grateful that I've not ( yet ) fallen prey to the lure of a Smartphone and its app-dictive siren call.

We willingly give our Smartphones a big chunk of our time, time we'll never get back. One day we'll sit back and wonder how we got talked out of so much free and valuable time...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment