Friday 24 May 2019

A Dose Of Village Cheer.

The magical universe.

I was parked outside the local doctor's surgery waiting for my two freshly minted septuagenarians to have a check up. It being an extremely sunny day today, I parked a bit further back in the only spot of shade the road possesses. Ironically it is my South African roots which make me shy away from the sun almost as much as that dishy vampire Edward did. Europeans thrive and flock to any and all spots of sun as if their lives depended on it. It might look great before they are forty but after that, that excessive sun-worshiping will come home to roost.

For some reason I was feeling a bit down today- any wonder when a bit of my old tooth decided to part ways with me last night. That age already? Aagghh! - and was stewing in my thoughts whilst sitting in the car. Not for long as first one Eisenberger came over to talk to me about this that and her mother but suffice to say, that our ten minute chat did me the world of good and reminded me of the many tender roots I have grown here and that they are getting anchored nicely. Other locals drove past me and gave me cheerful nods, waves or mouthed hellos. By now our fire engine red car is a well known sight around the village.

Of course driving two eminent personalities freshly over the threshold of the tenth decade of live, with their cheerfulness and wisdom is priceless and lifts anyone out of the doldrums. Being over ninety makes short thrift of silliness and puts everything into perspective. The best bit is how each and every time I drive them about the village, he makes a point of stopping at Wachter's to buy milk, bread and a whole slew of stuff not on the list and his flowers for his wife...two or three instant lotto tickets which she said she prefers to real flowers because they wilt so quickly! Now isn't that romantic?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment