Tuesday 14 May 2019

Are We Already Living The Tiny House Way?

A sobering thought indeed.

The other day Bob and I were watching an episode of Tiny House and of course we liked everything we saw and with enthusiasm planned a purchase or two of tiny houses once we'd saved enough or the lotto finally decided to send fortune our way. Cool, I thought, what a great way to live.

Bob was already apportioning our friends and family on their future visits into them. A tiny house or two on our property would would give everyone their privacy and look cute in the process.

When I espoused the whole romantic notion of living in a tiny house ourselves, my husband baulked at the idea. Living in such a small space without rooms to retreat to was a no-go for him. Ha, if and when we do have one in our yard, Bob would be the first person to move in and love it.

But, it got me thinking about how we use our spaces at the moment. As big as our house is, we usually only use half of it. The lounge, kitchen and bathroom are where we spend most of our time and happily so. No, it isn't as small as a tiny house would be but not far from it. We are merely burdened with extra rooms which we have filled to capacity with stuff we don't use and may never need again.

I think that that must be the appeal of tiny house living. No spare rooms for collecting stuff. Bob and I arrived here in Burgenland eight years ago with only boxes of books and a suitcase of our clothes. One would imagine that we are living clutter free but sadly no. For some reason we have collected a lot of things that we might use one day. Not necessarily bought either. A lot of stuff we hoard has been given to us by those who have cleverly decided to go clutter free.

I do hope the concept of tiny-house living catches on because when I look around I tend to see a lot of home owners only using half the space of their home for living and the other half for storage...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment