Thursday 4 July 2019

A Banana Treat.

An interesting morning indeed.

Meandering my various routes all over the vineyards makes for funny encounters, sightings and observations. Take this morning when I walked in Eisenberg caught up in my own thoughts until I came up to the big curve. Ahead I had spotted Bob's work car and many people toiling along some rows of vines.

It was still a hundred meters ahead of me which meant that I couldn't distinguish everyone clearly. The car was easy. Big, white and parked at a dashing angle. A mere thirty minutes earlier I had kissed Bob goodbye at the door but for the life of me I couldn't recall what colour t-shirt he was wearing. Drat, it wouldn't do to wave and blow kisses at the wrong guy. Especially with Bob looking on. Cautiously I waved and the wave was answered. As I didn't walk past them, I only found out later when Bob got home from work that it had indeed been him I was waving to. Shoo, lucky escape.

On the way home I thought I would treat myself to two fresh bread rolls from Kainz's, which I did but as luck would have it, old Mrs Kainz was telling me about a cold room mishap and that a whole bunch of bananas had changed colour and that I could have them for free. Who am I to say no to a bargain?

If only they would understand that these bananas are still fine to eat and in fact are perfect to make ice cream with. Not all bananas can have that perfect Chiquita complexion expected by most and in fact, they shouldn't. Let a banana be a banana and ripen the way nature intended.

The last bit of my walk was rather pleasant with a big bunch of brownish bananas under my arm for company and the lure of crispy fresh bread rolls for breakfast. Of course the best bit will be a scrumptious homemade banana ice cream after supper.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment