Sunday 28 July 2019

Sabotaging Ourselves And Our Lives.

Will we ever learn?

Family is coming to stay which among other things means having a tidy up and clear out. This morning I moved all of our old photos into a sealed container and had an epiphany.

Isn't it funny how one knows exactly when and where a photo was taken? A photo with us in it of course. For some reason I was privy to a chronological review of part of my life. A fleeting image in my first year living in South Africa, our dogs too and of course our house, an old romantic Victorian clinker. Oh those were the days.

Fast forward to a rather to be forgotten photo of my university days to various work place scenarios until I suddenly found the lot where Bob started to be the best part of the equation. Happiness indeed. Smiling and being thrilled at the prospect of where life was heading for us. A photo at a friends wedding and of course our own as well. All those fleeting images cascaded through my mind this morning whilst shuffling them to a new hibernation station.

One inescapable fact in all of them was that even though I thought at the time that I was old and over the hill, looking at these various special variants of my life I realized that I looked just fine and younger than my mind made me feel. All those wasted moments of hankering after lost youth are in fact conning us out of this precious life. Not that I advocate being the proverbial mutton dressed as lamb but more a feeling of being happy as we are whenever that may be.

Why can't we just enjoy each divine stage of our life instead of either wishing time away or feeling that we aren't enough as we are? The old peer pressure which has gone supersonic in the age of Smartphones really does fit in well with the musings of George Bernard Shaw

" Youth is wasted on the young. "

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment