Wednesday 17 July 2019

My Lucky Packet Surprise.

Never a dull day where cats are involved.

Two days ago I took an open bag of dry cat food ( 500 grams ) to feed Mr Cat outside and afterwards put it onto one of the wooden beams in our garage, about a meter above where his food bowl resides. All well and good and he was pleased at this special treat. Expensive as I had wanted Mausi to dine on it but Madam isn't very keen on it. Oh yes, spoilt princess.

Yesterday afternoon it was time to feed Mr. again and with Bob sitting on the front steps looking on, I filled his bowl with some wet food and then reached to give him a handful of the dry pebbles. Sort of as a cherry on top. Well, we have been having humid weather and when I put my hand inside the packet without really looking, the pebbles felt rather soft and chewy. Oh well at least he wouldn't have to chew too hard...

Before I could get my hand out of the bag, something jumped out of it and after being frozen to the spot for a second or two, I realized that a mouse had jumped out of the bag. The chewy food I had felt had actually been a mouse. A live mouse. Uuugh, I screamed at the top of my lungs, jumped a step back and threw the food bag onto the garage floor.

The tomcat looked dazed at this new turn of events and not at all bothered to go after it, Bob refused to heed my calls after he heard ' mouse jumped out ' and when the bag hit the floor a further three mice jumped out and dispersed into all directions.

I think I ran with my hands over my head, screaming at the top of my lungs about the mice affair while Bob couldn't even be bothered to do the princely thing and rescue me from them. In all fairness, these mice had scattered quickly and were properly just as traumatized as me, but at least my husband could have shown more concern...although, I tend to think that he too was a bit scared of approaching the scene of the mice scatter.

Of course now the question turned to when and where these mice had settled into the feed bag. Maybe while it was standing on a shelf in our larder? With great trepidation I hot footed it into our house and ran to check all the half open feed bags ( our princess likes variety ). Thankfully, they were just that. Dry food sans live entertainment...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment