Friday 12 July 2019

For The Love Of Reading.

Different methods of devouring books.

Just now I was contemplating life while looking at our overfilled bookshelves and sent a silent thank you to the powers that be for infusing me with a never ending love of reading and the ability to read.

Books are our treasures and pleasures. Whereas others fall prey to boutiques and clothing emporiums, Bob and I are wholeheartedly enslaved with anything to do with books and thus spend any spare dosh on new fodder for our minds. Prayers do work because back when I was single I wished for a boyfriend who loved reading as much as me!

So there I was regarding our books when I noticed one I hadn't read. We are also fortunate enough to have friends who bring us second hand books and it seems that Bob was to quick to file it away. Yes, he likes his order and woe be me if I put a book back in the wrong place. Trouble is that I forget where I took it from and have decided to leave them lying about, knowing that Bob can't resist. Works every time.

Do you also have a method to reading or am I the only one? First I read everything of an author and if that comes to a close then I continue with the same genre. Somehow I am stuck on murder and mayhem with the odd romance to clear the fear. At times such as now I mentally transplant myself to countries such as Sweden ( Camilla Läckberg ) or Norway (Jo Nesbo) and live vicariously through the author's stroke of a pen. The gist of reading, isn't it?

The queen of murder started me off on my love of this genre when I was a teenager. Even now I think back with such nostalgia and pleasure at having read my way through all of Agatha Christie's books. More than once too and it won't be long before I revisit St. Mary's Meade for a soothing slice of English country life...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment