Sunday 21 July 2019

Wine And The Sign Of The Times.

Aging and wine.

It was the annual Bergfest yesterday evening and by the sheer number of people there, a success. Bob and I went with family and friends and had a good time, meeting new villagers and catching up with ' old ' ones. As one does at parties.

As it was a wine fest, organized by the young guns of Deutsch Schützen's wine scene, wine was the center piece although the wine bar was tucked away on the side. The good vintages had to be collected in person. No waiter to do it for us and one just hopes that no one kept track of the number of times we visited the wine bar.

My luck that I drew the designated driver stick but honestly, at 3 euros per achtl I was happy to do so. Now and then my penny pinching alter ego popped into my thoughts comparing the price of a liter of house wine ( 3 euros ) to the hefty price for this eighth of a liter. Quality I know.

Anyway, I took the first trip to buy wine for us at the wine station. One of the young guns was stationed there dispensing wine with alarming accuracy. You know an eighth of a liter isn't that much when one is chatting to friends at a party and often one hopes that the barman has a heavy hand.

He poured my wine first and I was alarmed to see that he poured straight down from above my glass, resulting in a rather skeleton pouring. Good for the liver but not for the soul. Oh well, I got back to our table and saw that our friend who is twenty years my junior had also a glass of wine in front of her. Hers of course was wonderfully full, overstepping the measure mark on the side of the glass by miles. Or rather half a centimeter.

It just goes to show that aged wine is priceless and coveted but alas, aged wine drinkers get reminded that age isn't an advantage for them...Nevertheless, it was a good Bergfest and we look forward to next year's.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment