Thursday 18 July 2019

The Mighty Humble Potato.

Oft forgotten vegetable.

Even I, who tries to be aware of not wasting food usually ends up with a handful of slightly green potatoes which I then have to discard. Isn't it funny how one can never get the right size packet of potatoes? Either too much or too little or too expensive.

Now and again I buy the five kilogram pocket but unless we eat potatoes morning noon and night, there will be wastage. But no more. The last few months I have started to boil a big pot of tats and once cold I let them hibernate in our fridge waiting to be eaten. Yes, there is nothing better than snacking on a cold potato either seasoned with plain salt or mayonnaise ( vegan of course ).

If you are anything like me, you will turn into a snack searcher mid afternoon. Not out of hunger but out of habit. One can't scoff cheese and biscuits all the time and actually, there is nothing more tasty than a boiled tat.

Yesterday while I was visiting an older lady, I noticed that she was peeling potatoes in order to use them up before they went off. Wasting food is a no-no for her generation and understandably so. Anyway, she was going to make Marillen Knödl and was boiling the tats first. As we were chatting I told her about the way I try to avoid food wastage but she wasn't quite convinced about eating cold potatoes. Well, I countered that she eats them cold as a salad, which is almost the same.

She might try it just for the fun of it and I will have to find out the next time I go for a visit if she liked my suggestion. Going shopping for potatoes is rather fun again as it is exciting to try different varietals to appease the palate...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment