Thursday 11 July 2019

Wilderness Outside.

A gardening experiment.

As you know we live in an area of over keen garden keepers. In fact, the lawns look like peas in a pod and like clockwork they get mowed one after the other as soon as the first lawn is under the knife. A case of the stepford lawns...

Lately there have been numerous articles and programs about the death of insects and how our love of neat gardens, commons and fields has been partly responsible. It isn't just about the lack of bees but most other insects too.

Well, I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and make a stand for insects while at the same time having to mow less often. But, my idea had to first get passed Bob and his love of a tidy lawn. How could I sell my vision to Bob?

A few days ago I had a brainwave. Mowing the main part of our lawn but leaving the sides uncut and thus luring insects back to basics. As I am not that handy with the brush-cutter these sides were already on the longish side and when I set my plan into motion even I couldn't believe how nice it looked.

When Bob came home later that day, I had all types of arguments at my fingertips but before I used them, he told me that it looked great. So, we are trying this experiment of our garden and so far Miss Mausi has enjoyed it beyond measure. For her it is akin to traversing a jungle and she pulls us there each and every evening on her walk.

The nicest bit is of course the loud chirping, buzzing and hovering of insects in this restaurant we have created for them. As they say, every bit counts and for me that is a great feeling...

So far so good. Let's see how this developes!
A happening hangout...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment