Monday 8 July 2019

More Than A Million Words.

Back to basics.

Three weeks and counting in my digital minimalism experiment. By now the term experiment is superfluous as it has become a way of life. Chance be a fine thing and that is usually how ideas and life choices come into my peripheral. Yet, somehow I don't think of it as chance so much as more of a ' meant to be '.

Last month while doing the rounds on Youtube I happened across an interview with Cal Newport about our addiction to social media and what a waste of our precious time it was. The seed was sown and the next day I started on my digital detox. Facebook and all its enticing games were put on hold and under dust covers and so far, I am glad they are.

Reading has always been my lifeline but lately it has alarmed me to realize that I didn't have the mental stamina to finish books. Various subjects and genres didn't grab my attention the way they used to in the past. Could it have been my addiction to social media and gaming such as the expert had mentioned? Surely not!

Turns out it was. After a few days of not being online all the time I started to pick up the first novel and haven't stopped since. At least ten books have been read cover to cover, or about a million words. Isn't that an awesome figure to wrap one's head around? A million combinations of words that resulted in wonderful stories. Even thinking about the fact that 26 letters can be used in so many ways and combinations is mind boggling to me but also I am glad that I am able to read and understand them.

Not being on social media is such a relief on the senses and emotions. Not seeing the silly boasts of most makes me realize how much time I have sacrificed in the portals and halls of social media and beyond because whatever we see and read stays with us for longer than it should.

Next week my month of detox comes to an end but somehow I have a feeling that being online will have lost its shine for the foreseeable time...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment