Wednesday 9 November 2016

Jane Austen, What A Brilliant Woman.

Pride and Prejudice: My favourite literary romance.

A few exerts of her brilliant dialogue and artful yet timeless description of human nature.

... The stupidity with which he was favoured by nature, must guard his courtship from any charm that could make a woman wish for its continuance; and Miss Lucas, who accepted him solely from the pure and disinterested desire of an establishment, cared not how soon that establishment were gained...
Pride and Prejudice
"...There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense...."
Elizabeth Bennet to Jane Bennet
..."Pardon me for interrupting you, Madam, " cried Mr Collins; " but if she is really headstrong and foolish, I know not whether she would altogether be a very desirable wife to a man in my situation, who naturally looks for happiness in the marriage state. If therefore she actually persists in rejecting my suit, perhaps it were better not to force her into accepting me, because if liable to such defects of temper, she could not contribute to my felicity. " ...
Mr Collins talking to Mrs Bennet about Miss Elizabeth Bennet.
..." My dear Jane, Mr. Collins is a conceited, pompous, narrow-minded, silly man; you know he is, as well as I do; and you must feel, as well as I do, that the woman who marries him, cannot have a proper way of thinking..."
Miss Elizabeth Bennet talking to Miss Jane Bennet
...Mr Bennet treated the matter differently. " So, Lizzy," said he one day, " your sister is crossed in love I find. I congratulate her. Next to being married, a girl likes to be crossed in love a little now and then. It is something to think of, and gives her a sort of distinction among her companions. When is your turn to come? You will hardly bear to be long outdone by Jane. Now is your time. Here are officers enough in Meryton to disappoint all the young ladies in the country. "...
Mr Bennet talking to Miss Elizabeth Bennet

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment