Saturday 5 March 2016

A Chipped Tooth Ensues!

Perhaps I should leave my rock cakes be...

When you live away from shops in rural bliss you develop initiative and in our case, it meant whipping up a batch of rock cakes which I took to be scones, to make a meal. We were going grocery shopping at the end of that day, but lunch still needed to be had.

Most of us have these staples in our cupboards no matter how bare it is. It might have to do with the amount of work to be done in order to eat flour. Who doesn't want to just open the fridge and grab a bit of ham, cheese or cake?

You know, on the whole I do make a good batch of scones and carried on the wave of baking success, I tend to wing it with the measurements and ingredients. A dash of this, a heap of that and a pour of oil. Bob, bless him, always praises my cooking but I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be a sort of culinary insurance policy, as he wants to have his daily meal...

Well, this particular batch of scones only tasted nice while they were piping hot out the oven, but the second one I ate an hour later took it upon itself to emulate a rock cake and made me chip a tooth. Naturally, you only realize it a bit later when your tongue encounters too many open spaces.

Dentists are in demand on every continent. In South Africa they were booked up weeks in advance and here it is no different. Is that because there aren't that many prepared to become dentists, or because we all have a touch too much sugar in our diets?


My Family - Series 1-7 [12 DVD Box Set] [UK Import]

Anyway, Tuesday will be my day to have it seen to. Toothy Tuesday a week after Super Tuesday. A round of soupy meals has made me long to have one of the local specialties...a Kümmelbraten Brot, but that will have to await the outcome of Toothy Tuesday.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment