Thursday 4 May 2017

The Oldies Have It...

Back when life was dare I say nicer?

At the moment I am listening to my favourite online radio station, KABL San Francisco, and am feeling fabulous. There is just this magic about music from the 50's 60's and 70's that makes one sway in the chair while listening. Bob still cringes when I listen to it but it kind of refreshes my soul.

Even though I wasn't around when most of these songs were released, I tend to know most words to them. Great, isn't it? Of course I seem to remember a time as a teenager where I was putting the needle back to start again and again with Frank Sinatra, Barbara Streisand and the Beatles. One did need a steady hand to put the needle in the correct groove on those records.

The other day while our family was here for their stay, we put on an episode of Columbo ( we brought it over from S.A. ) and everyone was glued to the screen with my father in law even going so far as to ask us to keep quiet as he didn't want to miss out on any scene that might reveal yet another clue. Divine. We've got the first season of Columbo and as it started in 1971 the times were different.

Columbo episodes are a tad different to the normal murder plot films. It shows the murder taking place and who did it...the rest of the movie follows Detective Columbo stumbling bit by smokey bit on the truth. Great movies.

Phone booth abounded, everyone smoked where they liked and somehow life seemed more wholesome and much less stressful. The very reason I love listening to or watching those golden oldies is that they evoke a time where life wasn't this stressed out existence most of us have created for ourselves by being the lemmings following every trend there is.

Most of our free time is taken up with being online which begs the question what our parents did with their much more prolific free time back in the day. Makes me wonder, who will have the last laugh...and who will have had the best time?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment