More than a century old but oh so eloquent!
The book by Melvyn Bragg is a treasure trove of information and knowledge. Oh, and huge fun. Here are some lines from Benjamin Franklin's 1737 Drinker's Dictionary.
1. ' He's casting up his accounts '
2. ' He sees the bears '
3. ' He's dizzy as a goose '
4. ' He's been too free with Sir Richard '
5. ' He's like a rat in trouble '
6. ' He's loose in the hilts '
7. ' His head is full of bees '
8. ' He's double tongued '
9. ' He's oiled '
10. ' He sees two moons '
11. ' He clips the King's English '
12. ' He's had a cup too much '
13. ' He knows not the way home '
I would love to know your favourite expressions..just leave me the number.